Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What a day.

My sister Dawn phoned early this morning and left a message that I should come up to the hospital, that mom was under respiratory distress.


I left work, and headed here.










Mama is not coming back home. Not to her earthly home. It is a feeling I can not describe. I put my hand on mama's head and told her I loved her. She opened her eyes and told me she loved me too, and closed her eyes again. Again that was a feeling that can not be described. It is good to tell someone you love them, even though they know.

I've solved the parking dilemma that typically occurs at a hospital. I now carry a stethoscope in my car. I park in the Emergency Doctors only parking spot right at the front door of the hospital. I put the stethoscope around my neck and go running in the front door.

I hung out here for the morning. Dawn told me I should go for awhile and she would keep the watch.

So, I went home and got on a bike, felt numb, rode like the wind, rode hard. The harder I rode, the harder I wanted to ride. I felt empowered. I had to tell the skinnie bike we are not riding here, your a pavement rider.

















So now I sit in room 317 at Mercy Hospital. Thinking of things. Wondering. Realizing life is a gift, and a blessing and taking anything for granted, shouldn't be.
Over and out.
Dave

9 comments:

tainterturtles said...

I'm sorry to hear about your momma...I hope she isn't in pain. I'm so glad you can be there at the hospital.

Hang in there my friend.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your mom. I know how you're feeling, having been at the hospital waiting. Glad you two exchanged those words.

Travel Gravel said...

I know how you feel. My Mom has mild Dementia and so far has no big problems, but I wonder sometimes how long it might be. I have been told over and over to just enjoy the time, and roll with the punches. Like the other day when she couldn't think of the name of that large green man with the red scarf, "That's the Jolly Green Giant, Mom." "Oh yes." she said:)Best Wishes.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I'm there with you, man.

Dan O said...

Sorry for that news. Something we'll all face eventually, though certainly not easy to deal with.

Hang in there.

Clive Chapman said...

Thinking of you and yours mate from all the way over here.

KungFooSausage said...

I know what youre feeling. I went through the same with both my parents. Stay strong & best wishes.

Unknown said...

Sorry Dave. May God bless your mom with peace and comfort and your family as well!

C. P. said...

Very touching, as it should be.