Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Decisions, Decisions.

Rode around town tonight. Was fun. I reflect sometimes I've been hit twice by cars on this route in the last 25 years. Nothing serious, but it would not have taken much to have made it serious. I weave in and out of traffic. That's part of the fun. I love my new IPOD, generation V. It has a good FM radio too, sometimes that is nice to listen to when your doing some hours in the saddle.



Ran into this fellow tonight, he didn't have much to say, but bet he could be a riot once he loosens up.





I've been thinking about what I want to ride tomorrow. RAGBRAI finishes in Dubuque, my town, tomorrow. There will be over 15,000 bicyclist ending their journey across Iowa down at the Mississippi River.

Option I: Is to just ride the flood damaged gravel roads on my CX and there would be pavement crossings that the riders will be going by on. Take pictures and watch em roll through.

Option II: Is to get on my skinnie tired road bike and ride out early 40 miles out on pavement, and hook up with the mass and ride back in. The group is riding through town, and ending up on the banks of the Mississippi River. There is live music starting at 9:00 a.m. and lasting all day and night. Sounds like beer and tunes are gonna happen.

I think I will take option II. I enjoy most, the gravel travel lately, weaving in and out of ruts and hopping around, and the thick country side and peacefulness of the solitude. But to be able to ride with thousands like this, streets blocked off, through this town, the opportunity may never come to me again. I love bicycling and this shouldn't be missed.

I've been working on a route, that I hope avoids the very early riders, I won't be able to go against the flow, it would never work. So I have mapped out a route that I think will work. I know a batch of riders on the ride, but running into them probably won't happen.

Ride often

Dave

4 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Option II sounds like the right choice.

Enjoy your day tomorrow, miles, brews and music.

Dan O said...

Option II - go with the crowd - sounds fun. The gravel trails can wait, they ain't going anywhere.

Riding with iPod or other music, I never do it - which is weird, 'cause I'm a huge music fan. For some reason, I feel no need to hear music when riding.

Well, sometimes songs are playing my defective head on their own. Or sections of 'em anyway.

Just hearing the sounds of riding are enough for me - this sound of the tires, clicking of gears, wind roar in my ears.

Only time I ride with music is on the dreaded windtrainer. That would be impossible to ride without the iPod set to stun.

Clive Chapman said...

Enjoy which ever you do mate.

KungFooSausage said...

Option 2 for sure. Have a fantastic time