Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

A great day on a bike

Creepy baby get off my bike your not going.






Warm, and humid was the day. I was on the bike by 8:15 heading out of town. Felt so heavy and sluggish starting out. The logical part of my mind started telling me that I should be exhausted. The last couple of weeks have been weary and on top of that there were several days that I biked as hard as I could.


That left me with 2 choices.



Choice 1: To quit, head home, I knew if I did that I would find myself on the couch later, drinking a beer, watching the tour and depressed about not riding like I should be.


Choice 2: Was to suck it up, keep pedaling, put my head down and grind.





















I chose option 2. Somewhere in the ride the endorphins took over, somewhere on a gravel road in North East Iowa, between Fleetwood Mac's Chains, and ACDC's jailbreak my spirit, soul, and body were set free. The heaviness left my legs, and I felt like I was sailing on gravel. The only thing that mattered was the moment, and the moment was escapade. It is why I cycle, for days like today, to feel like that.





Oh, and to the bug that made it's way into my cycling jersey and bit me a few times, you are now squashed.....and something bit me on the top of my ear, and it's a itch'n now. Bugs all over the place out there....




Rode for 62 miles on trail, and gravel, drank 15 lbs of fluids. I was stocking up with water for the return trip at a outside vending machine in a small town and a lady came out out with a picture of ice and water and filled my water bottles.


At one point there was a bull standing in the middle of the road looking at me. I'm a city boy, I don't know about these brutes. I know they can ticked and charge. I stopped. We looked at each other for awhile, then Mr. Bull meandered off to the side of the road, and I zipped on by.

I rode for awhile with a young man, high school age, looked like "Harry Potter" on wheels, he was just getting into biking and was loving it, that was nice to see.
Tried my modified shoes out today. Worked good.




Tomorrow, is thunder storms, the goal is to ride in spite of. Rain would have felt good today, bugs and heat were all over me when ever I stopped. Riding helped evaporate, sweat poured out when ever I stopped.


Cheers,


Dave









4 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Nice baby!

No city ride today. By 2 pm this afternoon and 92 degrees, no one wanted to ride...except me. I wanted to ride up to the DQ for ice cream, HA!!!!

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

I like these multiple choice posts.
2 would've been mine too.

Big Granddaddy Ron said...

Now that I've read this, I think option 2 is going to be mine, too! Time to get off the recliner and on the bike . . .

Unknown said...

I picked option #2 also - this morning the desire was not there - now that I am home - I am happy!

Glad the shoes worked out - did the bug fly in through the toe hole????