Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Away I go again.

So today, I did metric dirt ride #81 again. The reason being I checked my log book to double check where I was at in my 100 riding goal, and found out I inadvertently marked down a metric dirt century on the day I rode RAGBRAI, I rode out from my house and back with 20,000 riders. Was lotz of miles but it was on blacktop so it doesn't count.

The wind was kicking my butt, on the way out. The return trip the wind saved my butt.

I thought about runners, and bicyclist today while riding, and why we that ride and run spend so much time riding and running. There is no real good reason, because it is simply play to us. Play doesn't have to have a reason. It is not for health, weight loss, or anything like that, those are simply by products of our playtime.



Remember way back when, a million years ago for me, when we were kids, and couldn't wait to play, after school, recess, summer was the favorite time, for one reason, more play.



So don't let that part of you grow up, keep on playing.




Remember "here kitty kitty, Mr Skunk from two days ago, well this afternoon, riding on my bike, I'm thinking it was about this time and place that Mr. Skunk was blocking my path two days ago. I look down and THERE HE IS!!!!! Less then 2 feet from my front tire, in the brush, YIKES!! He hardly flinched and most important didn't spray me.




I'm not sure if this is a good idea, scarring the land like this, and dragging out 200 year old oak trees.



By the time I got home it was much colder then when I started. Dressing in layers and removing and putting back on is way to maintain temperature control.



Ok the Weekend is right around the corner, and you know what that means?

Rumor has it, it is going to thunderstorm Saturday. I guess I am going to have to get wet.





Bye,
Dave

5 comments:

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

Glad Mr. Skunk kept his smell to himself.

tainterturtles said...

Sounds like you'll be playing this weekend with more bike miles. Good for you!

Courtney Hilton said...

At least it's not snow yet! oh wait you just got a snow bike...

Steph said...

Being on my bike ... even walking outside (for fitness...) is definitely playing, and makes me feel like a kid :)

dawn marie giegerich said...

HEY! What about us walkers, swimmers and exercise DVD people? We may not meet the standards for the elite classes of cyclists and runners, but we're here, grunting and puffing along with the rest of you.