Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Winter your all bark and no bite these days.

Just about finished with my Trec  XC XO2 ride. It is going to end up about 8 Big Bens to replace all the parts the gravel rides wore out last year. Rear wheel is close to 5 Big Bens. Bontrager Race X lite wheel is $pendy.


Next in line to over haul out of my neglected bike bin is my Trek road bike which won't be near as $pendy. Will however need to replace the front wheel.

Here is a picture of my old jockey wheel and a new one. As you can see I rode her past the point one should. Well with new rear wheel, free hub, chain, ring gear, derailleur, cables, cable housing, bar wraps, brake hoods, my ride is gonna glide.
Ok enough of the mechanics of this and that. Great ride tonight after work. Sort of a 'first' for the year. Entire ride after work with no head lights, on pavement, no studded tires, no bar covers, I think, winter, your bluff has been called you go away now.

Squeezing the last bit of daylight out of tonight's ride. 


Ok I'm ready to get tomorrow's work day out of the way, and get back on two wheels.

LAta,
DAve

8 comments:

Craig said...

Looks like you're making your own throwing stars.

'Tis the way of the bike ninja...

Dan O said...

That's okay - worn out bike parts should be shown with pride. Proof of many miles.

I'm in the same boat, both my road bikes need complete drive train replacements. I ordered new rings for my Shimano R700 compact crank online yesterday. The Shimano rings are pretty expensive. Already have a new chain. Next is a new Ultegra cassette and the Ibis carbon wonder bike will be ready to roll again.

The old school Ibis steel commuter/'cross machine requires chain rings, BB, cassette, and chain. Plus the left STI shifter is flaky. I smell big money on getting this bike up to snuff. Ouch.

Unknown said...

Dave - woowzer that is some nice star work you got going on!!!

Just think how much pleasure you garnered from that 8Benjamins and how much fun this year will be.

How many years did you have on the bike? Just curious.

MrDaveyGie said...

Yeap Craig, look out for my special designed throwing stars.

:-)

Yeap Dan-O, speaking of shifters, after last nights ride, I think I am needing the right replaced.

Mr Bill G. I bought that bike in fall of 08 that year I did 12 dirt C's 09 was 54 dirt C's and 2010 was 100 Dirt C's Plus other miles not tracked.
I try to keep her cleaned and lubed, every couple of rides. That is my 3rd deraileur I just put on.
But I have to say I got my money$ worth and looking forward to wearing these parts out.

dawn marie giegerich said...

Rollerskating would be far less expensive.

TrevorW�� said...

Wow - that is some wear on that jockey wheel..! Your bike is going to be so smoooooth with all the new components.

-Trevor

tainterturtles said...

Isn't it nice that the days are finally getting longer? Your rides won't be totally in the dark now.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

ROADIE!
Winter is still hanging on up here. Still on the studs.