Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Winter

My dog, Pitty, has the winter blues.






Winter for me simply means Increased obstacles to overcome to maintain regular and frequent hours bicycling outdoors.

Winter is over for me. I know it is only Feb 16th in NorthEast Iowa, but enough snow has melted to now road ride. The 10 day forecast has  everyday reaching above freezing. So we might get snowstorms or below zero temps yet, maybe, but the riding options are headed towards being wide open.

The trails are off limits, with a  chunk of frozen tundra 3 feet thick is will be a ice jam for a couple more weeks now.

SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tomorrow off and I have 'her' ready to go. My Trek Cycle Cross XO2. I haven't rode my Metric Machine of 2010 since November.


I thought about should I go bonkers and shoot for 100 miles? The lighter bike and pavement should fly. I decided no. My only  goal is to spin the wheels and just have fun. I am going to explore all the places I haven't rode in over 12 weeks. Hill climb, have fun, no goals, play like a kid. Yahooo, I am excited.

DAve

8 comments:

tainterturtles said...

My advice, just play for now. The real warm up is not too far off.

Hope you have a good ride tomorrow and enjoy some hills.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

She looks excited too.

dawn marie giegerich said...

Interesting, you define winter by biking road conditions.
And as far as the next few days,
Yahoooooooo!
And Pity, she'll be fine, let her sniff a few thawing snow cliffs.

Craig said...

Looking forward to my first road ride of the year tomorrow as well. It's just a lunch ride, but it'll do.

By the way, does your gas tank bag interfere with the cables running along your top tube? I wanted to put one on my Surly, but I was worried about that.

MrDaveyGie said...

Hi Craig,
No it doesn't interfere at all. You can keep the straps lose enough to let cables move and yet bag is plenty secure. That one is from 'bikehard' I really like it. Great for camera and cell phone or anything you need for a quick grab.

Clive Chapman said...

Sounds brilliant mate, go for it!

mrbill said...

100 miles, you are excited to get on the roads, have fun Dave, it's spring here, tanning weather.

Steph said...

You'll be flyin'!