Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Brrrrrr

Ride time: 2/9/11 9:00 a.m.
Temperature -4 F Wind Chill -24F.
Ride duration 6 + hours.
Miles: To be determined.
Clothing required: See picture below.

Feet: 2 pair of heavy weight wool socks. SIDI winter cycling shoes. Adidas Shoe covers and chemical warmers between the two pair of socks.


Torso: 1 lt weight wool T-shirt. 1 Turtle neck. 2 med weight wool long sleeve. Cycling Jersey. Wind Breaker (thinking this might be a little too light)


Legs: Heavy weight Pear Izumi riding pants. Fox below the knee cycling shorts.

Head: Heavy wool socking hat thinsulate filling. Pearl Izumi heavy weight balaclava.


Hands: ATV handle bar covers, med full finger gloves and 12 hr chemical warmers.


Have had plenty of snow, to ride in this winter but haven't had temps this low yet this year. I think I am prepared. Looking forward to riding, I have day off work. I have pouches sewn in on the front and back of my long sleeve turtle neck, if I start to freeze out, as an emergency plan, I bring along extra chemical warmers I can put them in the pouches to keep torso warm.

So, some would ask, what would possess a person to use a vacation day, and spend it on a bicycle  on one of the coldest days of the year in Iowa riding on a snow mobile trail in the country. Hmmmm, darn if I know. But I'm gonna love it, what can I say.  The sun is gonna shine.


So plan some fun, and get er done!!!!!Thanks for stopping DAve.

7 comments:

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

You're a better man than me.

tainterturtles said...

I wish I had your guts! I'm just a softy when it comes to cold weather riding.

Matt Maxwell said...

Makes perfect sense to me. I think you'll be plenty warm except maybe your feet.

Joboo said...

You should be fine, dare I say you may be over dressing??!! ;))
Maybe it's because you have all the open fields down there;)), makes the wind worse than my wooded rides.

I find that if I'm overheating on my way to the trails I wanna ride (which are mostly wooded), I need to shed some closes when I get there, or before.
It's funny (then again, maybe not!!), how it can be -whatever with a deep minus whindchill, how much the woods help to cut the wind.

Enjoy you day off pedal!!!

Peace

Steph said...

Oh man...... You's crazy!

Don't freeze to death!! :) Have fun!

mrbill said...

Don't forget your goggles!!

Dan O said...

Take some pictures....as long as the camera doesn't freeze.