Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Riding the storm out.

Today it rained like Holy Cow, I don't know what that means but some places around here got 3 inches of rain in a few hours. However, the rain was nice enough to stop for awhile after I got home from work so I go out and jam it on the bicycle.

I was surprised the legs had good pep in them. Grateful that the body can recover after heating it up like I did yesterday. Rode around the north end town through hills, park, and river front.
Pushed my legs hard, got a good burn.
I was riding along the river front and came upon two ladies standing over this turtle that was in the road. So I stopped. They said the poor thing was wounded and they wanted to get Mr Turtle out of the road. So one of em reached down to pick him up and the turtle hissed and swung around to take one of her fingers off. I told her you better be careful that is a snapper. So I grabbed him from the rear and pulled him out of the road and up on the grass. Seemed now he had a sense of where the river was and started to head that way. So I was the turtle savor.


Barge traffic on the river. Probably coal on it's way up to Lansing Iowa for the power plant.




My tomatoes and green peppers are looking healthy after all that rain.
Well tomorrow I meet with one of my brothers and two sisters and see if we can come up with plan on taking care of mama. She's pretty much chair bound. I rode my bike up there yesterday after my hot century, and my 87 year old dad said. "Oh good Dave, glad your here, now I can go for a walk" and off he went. :-)
Well thanks for stopping, and happy ride to ya.
Dave

5 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Your rain storm hit us mid afternoon while driving on the Interstate. The fields had lots of standing water.

I hope you all come up with a plan for your mama. Be sure to tell her that you all love her.

Harry Legge's Cycling Blog said...

It's an odd feeling to be trying to make decisions for parents. As thier kids we're not used to that. Either are they. Good luck with what you're trying to do. It's very obvious you love them.

MrDaveyGie said...

Thank you Tom and Lisa for your kind words. My ma and pa, made raising us kids priority #1, so now what goes around comes around.

Unknown said...

Hope things work out with your mom Dave. I have my dad living with us and has been for 3 years now. Not always fun but he is blood :)

Have a great day!

Steph said...

yay for saving the Turtle!