Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

The crash scene.

I mentioned a motorcycle accident in my previous blog that I was in back in 1969. Here is a picture of that event. A city bus ran the stop sign and we ran full blast into the side of the bus. A person in the car on the other side of the bus said he saw us because we bounced that high. This picture was on the front page of our Dubuque News paper. That is me laying in the street feeling my busted up jaw. That is my dad standing their next to me. I can't imagine his fear after he was notified and rushed to the crash scene and seeing perhaps a 100 people gathered around me. I thank God to this day that the spilt gas you see around the motor cycle did not ignite, my pants had plenty of gas on them. The other blanket was from the driver of the motorcycle, my friend Tim, took the full impact of the bus hit. I broke my jaw on Tim's back. Tim suffered lifetime problems from this. A real bad day.
But who ever would have thunk it, that a accident I had in high school would still come back at ya like this? Well losing two teeth isn't the end of the world. Well I am going to crash and try to soak up some energy and have a good day in the saddle tomorrow at Triple D. This may be the straw that breaks the camel back and I buy a Pugsley. If my tires just spin out tomorrow I'll probably rap it up early, and talk to Parrish about a Pugs, who knows, we'll see.

Thanks for stopping,
Peace and saddle up for happy rides.

4 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Wow, thanks for explaining the "rest-of-the-story."

Sure hope you feel better Mr. D...next week will be better!

MrDaveyGie said...

Yes, I agree Marvin :-)~

Dan O said...

The motorcycle obsession parallels my bicycle obsession. Though I've been without a motorcycle for a few years now - which is rare for me.

Motor powered two wheels bumps up the risk factor quite a bit. Amazingly, after thousands of motorcycle street riding, I've never crashed once. For awhile, maybe 7 years, commuted and rode almost daily.

My dad, who never learned to ride a bike, experienced a bad motorcycle crash in the '50s, also as a passenger. Instead of a bus like your crash, a drunk off duty police officer took them out. My dad was pretty banged up, so I'm told - since I still was a few years off.

Weird that injury came back to haunt you years later.

Steph said...

wow- what a pic, thanks for sharing yer story!